11th Cohort African Union Youth Volunteer Corps (AU-YVC)
Submit your application before Friday, 31 July 2020 midnight (Addis Abeba time)
The African Union Youth Volunteer Corps (AU-YVC), established in 2010, is a flagship continental Youth Leadership program that recruits trains and deploy young African professionals from all 55 AU Member States to serve as professional volunteers for a period of 12 months.
AU-YVC promotes volunteerism to deepen the status of young people in Africa as key actors in Africa’s development targets and goals, enhancing their participation in policy, programs and initiatives towards the realization of AU Agenda2063 – ‘The Africa We Want’. It brings people together to share skills, knowledge, creativity and learning to build a more integrated, prosperous, and peaceful Continent driven by its citizens.
Objectives of the AU-YVC
- Engage Africa's Youth in the Continent's development through meaningful youth participation by providing Service for their Continent;
- Provide opportunities to Young Africans to serve and gain crucial professional experience, soft skills, social competence, international exposure and leadership skills;
- Promote shared values and Pan-Africanism among the upcoming generation.
Areas of Focus
On the field, AU Youth Volunteers would serve primarily in the following fields:
Health and HIV/ AIDS
Peace and Security
Information and Communications Technology
Business and Youth Entrepreneurship
Agriculture and Environment
Typical Environment of Service
AU-YVC volunteer is deployed strictly in non for profit settings where their impact and contributions can fill the gap for much needed skilled manpower. This would typically be:
Rural Community Schools
Hospitals and Health Centers
Post Conflict Setting
Government Offices/ Ministries
Applicants have to meet the following criteria:
1. Citizen of an AU Member State living on the continent or the Diaspora;
2. Aged between 18 – 35 years;
3. Have a post-secondary certified qualification(s) (TVET, Bachelor’s, Master’s etc.)
4. Available in 2020/21 to dedicate 12 (twelve) months for professional volunteer service;
5. Willing to live and work in another AU Member State;
6. Is proficient in at least one AU working language (Arabic, English, French, Portuguese);
7. Has at least one year verifiable volunteering experience and one-year professional work experience.
*Disclaimer: Please note the African Union at no point charges or request facilitation fees to process applications!
To submit your application:
1. Create an account on the http://aucareers.org/ (instructions and video tutorial available)
2. Fill out your personal information and the application form
3. Attach the following documents:
- Your updated professional CV (no longer than 3 pages)
- Bio page of your passport (or national ID)
- Copy of your highest completed qualification (no transcripts)
- Attach a letter of recommendation (not older than 2 years) attesting to your leadership qualities
4. Attach your cover letter. In your cover letter please respond to the following questions:
- Why do you want to become an African Union Youth Volunteer?
- What makes you the best candidate for AU-YVC?
- What skills are you bringing to the AU-YVC and your host organization?
5. Review and submit your application before Friday, 31 July 2020 midnight (Addis Abeba time)
▪ Incomplete and late applications will not be considered
▪ Only successful applicants will be contacted
▪ Providing incomplete or incorrect information is ground for immediate termination
The African Union Commission and partners will cover the full costs of pre-deployment training and subsequent volunteer deployment for successful candidates.
An African Union Youth Volunteers receive the following benefits & opportunities:
1) Unique opportunity to engage at highest continental policy and programs at the African Union
2) Network with Young African leaders from across the continent
3) Economy return ticket to the place of deployment
4) A monthly stipend to cover living expenses
5) Health insurance cover
6) AU Service Passport
7) Separation allowance on successful completion of twelve months service
8) Training and mentorship opportunities