The Scientific and Technological Research Council of Türkiye (TÜBİTAK) and TWAS have established a fellowship program for foreign scholars from developing countries in the South who wish to pursue research toward a PhD in a field of the natural and related applied sciences, in departments and laboratories of public and private universities of Türkiye (Turkey) and TÜBİTAK Research Centers and Institutes.
Opening date of this fellowship call: 15 September 2023
Closing date of this fellowship call: 25 December 2023
- Information on the application, evaluation and implementation of the Fellowship is detailed in the “2216B TUBITAK TWAS_2023 Call for Applications” document that can be downloaded below or at the link https://tubitak.gov.tr/en/scholarship/postdoctoral/international-programmes/content-2216-b-tubitak-twas-postgraduate-and-postdoctoral-fellowship-programmes
- Applications to the Fellowship must be submitted online only via the TÜBİTAK online application system through TYBS which is accessible HERE. However, before accessing the online application form via TYBS, candidates must first create a profile on the platform of the TÜBİTAK Researcher Information System (ARBİS) which is available at https://arbis.tubitak.gov.tr
- The Fellowships are tenable at the departments and laboratories of public and private universities in Turkey for a minimum period of 6 months to a maximum period of 12 months.
- Eligible fields under the program are the following:
a. Agricultural Sciences
b. Structural, Cell. & Molecular Biology
c. Biological Systems & Organisms
d. Medical & Health Sciences, including Neurosciences
e. Chemical Sciences
f. Engineering Sciences
g. Astronomy, Space & Earth Science
h. Mathematical Sciences
j. Computing and Information Technology.
Applicants for these Fellowships must meet the following criteria:
- Be permanent residents and nationals of a developing country in the South (https://twas.org/developing-countries-south).
- Candidates from Science and Technology Lagging countries (STLC) and women are especially encouraged to apply. For the list of STLC, please see https://twas.org/66-countries.
NB. Developing countries that are not on the list are also eligible to apply.
- Must not hold any visa for temporary or permanent residency in Turkey or any developed country;
- Hold a MASTER’s or equivalent degree in natural and related applied sciences (in one of the fields specified above);
Be a maximum age of 35 years on 31 December of the application year;
- She/he must have successfully passed the Ph.D. qualifying exam or be in an advanced stage of their Ph.D. research in natural and related applied sciences (in the fields specified in the call text). Applicants must certify this criterion with an official Registration & No Objection Certificate (see sample that can be downloaded below or from TÜBİTAK’s online application website). This document must be issued within three months before the application date, and it should also mention briefly the timeline and research work planned;
- NB. Requests for acceptance must be directed to the chosen host institution(s) in Turkey, and NOT to TÜBİTAK. Without preliminary acceptance, the application will not be considered for selection. The acceptance letter must be signed by the highest authority of the chosen host institute. The maximum number of academic advisors in Turkey can be 2 (two).
- Not take up other assignments during the period of her/his fellowship;
- Be financially responsible for any accompanying family members;
- Not have previously received or been awarded a fellowship under this program;
- Must return to her/his home country on completion of the fellowship.
Submitting the application
- The call for applications is open from 15 September 2023 until 25 December 2023.
- ALL applications to the Fellowship must be submitted online only via the TÜBİTAK online application system that is available through TYBS HERE
- IMPORTANT: To be able to submit the online application form to TÜBİTAK via TYBS, candidates must first create a profile on the platform of the TÜBİTAK Researcher Information System (ARBİS) that is available at https://arbis.tubitak.gov.tr
- The information of the researchers and the academic advisors in Turkey must be up-to-date in the Researcher Information System (ARBIS) before applying online via TYBS.
- Applicants must be aware that TÜBİTAK and TWAS will not accept applications submitted by any other means except via the online application form.
- No applications will be accepted after the deadline. Therefore, it is recommended to submit your electronic application as early as possible.
- Queries concerning the submission of applications via the online portal of TÜBİTAK should be directed to email@example.com
- Candidates may apply for only one program per calendar year in the TWAS and OWSD portfolio. Applicants will not be eligible to visit another institution in that year under the TWAS Visiting Professor programs. One exception: The head of an institution that invites an external scholar to share his/her expertise under the TWAS Visiting Professor programs may still apply for another program.
FOR MORE INFORMATION, PLEASE REFER TO THE OFFICIAL WEBSITE HERE