Yale Young African Scholars (YYAS) is an intensive academic and enrichment program designed for African secondary school students planning to pursue tertiary education and who wish to make meaningful impact as young leaders on the continent.
Participants will enhance their academic skills, receive guidance on university admissions and career path options, and join a network of young leaders from across Africa. Following the program, students will be paired with mentors who will advise them throughout the university application process.
Over the course of the program, when YYAS takes place online or in-residence, participants will utilize various online platforms, including Zoom, to engage in seminars, lectures, and conversations. All relevant program information will be communicated directly to admitted participants.
In order to apply to YYAS, applicants MUST fulfill all of the following requirements:
- Age: You must be between the ages of 14-18 years old on 18 July 2024 in order to be considered (i.e. born between 19 July 2005 and 18 July 2010). Please note that a typical YYAS student is between the ages of 16-17.
- English: You must be able to participate in a rigorous academic curriculum conducted in English.
- Citizenship: You must be a citizen or permanent resident of an African country. YYAS will also accept applications from refugees living in an African country.
- School location: You must currently attend school in an African country.
- Grade Level: You must be a current 10th or 11th grade student (or the international equivalents).
- Graduation date: If you attend school in the Northern Hemisphere, you must be graduating secondary school by earliest May/June 2025 and no later than May/June 2026. If you attend school in the Southern Hemisphere, you must be graduating secondary school by earliest November/December 2024 and no later than November/December 2025.
If you are currently in your final year or term of secondary school, have already graduated secondary school, or are a university student, then you are NOT eligible to apply.
If you are a YYAS or YYGS alumnus/a, you may NOT apply or reapply for YYAS. (*However, if you are a YYAS alumnus/a, you can apply to YYGS if eligible.)
How to Apply
PROGRAM DETAILSYYAS 2024 Program Dates:YYAS College Prep Workshop (online; 5 days): 18-23 July 2024YYAS Leadership Summit (residential in Zimbabwe; 10 days): 9-18 August 20242024 Program UpdateEligibilityIn order to apply to YYAS, applicants MUST fulfill all of the following requirements:How to ApplyGet Started:Complete the Application:Need Help?Application RequirementsApplication Deadlines
Yale places great importance on these recommendations because they understand that students come from a wide variety of backgrounds and education contexts. They appreciate teachers taking the time to write recommendations for their student(s). To ensure sincerity, Yale ask that teachers please refrain from sharing their recommendations with students.
Be sure to click the “SUBMIT” button on the last page for your application to be considered.
YYAS reviews all applications holistically, and there are no minimum grade or standardized exam score requirements. However, a high level of English proficiency will be expected.
Decision Notification: Applicants will be notified electronically of admissions decisions by mid-April.