At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world’s largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter – fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature.
Our professionals very much enjoy sharing their knowledge and expertise with students who are committed and passionate about their chosen field. And there’s no better way to learn than on-the-job: when that job happens to be with a world-famous research organization and centre of scientific excellence, it’s even better.
Are you looking for a training period during the European summer (June – September)? If so, this could be the opportunity for you: apply now for the CERN Summer Student Programme 2024!
- Over a period of 8 to 13 weeks, you will work on an advanced technical project in an experimental or engineering team.
- A 92 CHF per calendar day (net of tax) subsistence allowance to cover the cost of accommodation and meals in the Geneva area for a single person for the whole contract duration.
- A travel allowance on a lump sum basis paid at the end of your stay to help you with the cost of travel between Geneva and your residence at the time of the selection committee.
- Coverage by CERN’s comprehensive Health Insurance scheme (contribution already deducted from allowance).**
- Bachelor or Master student (not Ph.D.) in Physics, Engineering, Computer Science or Mathematics and should have completed, by the European Summer 2024, at least 6 semesters of full-time studies in the field, at the university level.
- You have a good knowledge of English; knowledge of French would be an advantage.
- You will remain registered as a student during your stay at CERN. If you expect to graduate during the European summer of 2024 (as of May), you are also eligible to apply.
You will need the following documents, clearly labeled (e.g. “CV”, “Motivation letter”, “Academic transcript”, etc.) and in PDF format to complete your application:
Please note that this must be done before the application deadline (Wednesday 31st January 2024 12 noon CET time).*
Click here More Information