International Scholarship Application is due January 15, 2024 by 11:30 Pacific Time
The Hansen Leadership Institute (HLI) brings together and trains future leaders from across the world to promote world peace and international cooperation.
In recent years, we have begun to expand our focus to gender issues in leadership as well. The intense, 24/7 face-to-face community of our three-week program becomes a path to a vibrant virtual hub, where Hansen alumni engage, connect, and mutually support each other’s projects of peace and community building.
Mediation & Conflict Resolution
HLI provides first-class training and hands-on instruction in these areas. So, HLI Fellows also receive training from a human rights activist and expert who has extensive knowledge and experience in these areas.
The heart of HLI is that it fosters deep friendship and solidarity with like-minded others from zones of conflict across the world. Fellows become lifelong members of a close-knit and highly engaged international community, which exposes them to new opportunities for service, education, and friendship across borders. The three-week program itself is a yearly experiment in international cooperation. People from warring countries start as awkward roommates. They leave the program as close friends with a mutual resolve to make peace between their people.
To participate in the Hansen Summer Institute, candidates must meet the following eligibility requirements:
NON – U.S. STUDENTS: (from zones of conflict and/or social strife)
- Upper-division undergraduate with 2 years of college/university or graduate student with a professional interest in international relations, diplomacy, international economic development or related fields.
- Students must be between the ages of 20-25 at the start of the program.
- Must have demonstrated leadership potential outside of the classroom in the community, nation or region.
- Have an academic adviser verify in writing the candidate’s English proficiency
- Have a valid international passport with a U.S. visa if necessary by the time the program begins
- Preference will be given to those who have never visited the United States
What if I have been to the United States before?
Preference will be given to students who have never been to the United States before but all qualified students are encouraged to apply.
How Do I Apply?
Click on the “Apply” tab for a link to the International and U.S. application portal. Log in to create an account and begin completing the online application.
Your application will not be reviewed by the selection committee until we have received the entire, completed application (100% in all sections, including transcripts and recommendation forms).