The Vienna Center for Disarmament and Non-Proliferation (VCDNP) is recruiting an intern for spring-summer 2024. The VCDNP is an international non-governmental organisation based in Vienna, Austria. The Center conducts research, facilitates dialogue, and builds capacity on nuclear disarmament and non-proliferation issues. We strongly encourage applications from women and candidates from developing countries.
The duration of the internship is up to six months and will take place in person in Vienna, Austria. The intern will receive a monthly stipend of 1,000 Euro to offset living expenses. Interns also receive reimbursements for relocation expenses, such as airfare, where applicable and as agreed with the VCDNP.
The intern will:
- Develop and implement a research project on a nuclear non-proliferation or disarmament topic, supervised by VCDNP researchers
- Work alongside experts at the VCDNP on ongoing research projects
- Contribute to programmatic activities at the VCDNP, including events, lectures, webinars, courses, and conferences
- Have the opportunity to interact with specialists from the IAEA, CTBTO, and other international organisations in Vienna, as well as representatives from national governments and academia
- Assist with administrative tasks and events
- Perform other related duties as requested
Skills and Requirements
- Work towards or have recently completed a graduate university degree in a field related to the VCDNP’s work, such as international relations, political science or a degree in natural sciences, including nuclear physics, nuclear engineering or similar
- Not eligible: Candidates who have completed their most recent university degree more than three years ago
- Have a strong interest in nuclear disarmament and non-proliferation issues
- Experience in conducting research projects and/or organising events is desirable
- Possess strong writing skills and excellent command of the English language; knowledge of other languages is an asset
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office
- Familiarity with virtual meeting software such as Zoom and Microsoft Teams is desirable
- Knowledge of other software as well as social media and graphic design skills are assets
A valid authorization to work or ability to obtain a visa in Austria is required.
The position requires light to moderate physical effort and the ability to work at a computer for extended periods of time.
The VCDNP maintains a smoke-free and drug-free workplace.
How to Apply
To apply, please complete the online form below.
You will be asked to provide the following documents in English:
- Official transcript of records
- One letter of recommendation
- Motivation letter specifying why you are applying for this internship and how you think it will benefit you in your studies and career
- A writing sample of no more than five pages
The deadline to apply is 5 February 2024.
The start date will be as agreed between the VCDNP and the successful candidate, ideally commencing in March 2024.
All inquiries about the course should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.